The Rotary Club Of Owerri, RI District 9142 has kicked off their “Basic Education and Literacy Project 2019-2020” with a Secondary School Debate competition which was won by Miss Chiziterem Ibewuihe of Owerri City Secondary School.
The event which took place on Saturday October 26, 2019 at The Mall Aladinma Owerri, Imo State, saw six schools lock horns do justice to about eight topics at the event.
Dr. Jacy Achonu also presenting a paper on “The Adolescence Period’, encouraging students to be mindful of friends they keep and know when to say no to peer pressure.
The Rotary Club of Owerri, District 9142 President, Rtn. Dr. Nneka Goretti Ewenike and the Committee Chairman, Rtn. Prof. Jude Ejike Njoku could not hide their joy, urging the participants to take advantage of the experience they have garnered to live a better life.
Owerri City Secondary School, Holy Ghost college Owerri, Government Secondary School Owerri, Owerri Girls Secondary School, Egbu girls Secondary School and Boys Model Secondary School New Owerri participated at the debate competition where they spoke on the following topics:
1. Is capital punishment a measure to curb crime?
2. Regional unrest in Nigeria is it as a result of failure of leadership or colonial creation of Nigerian state.
3. Is amnesty an effective tool in addressing agitation?
4. Is the not too young to run law an advantage or disadvantage to Nigeria democracy
5. Is corruption Nigeria’s biggest problem or lack of visionary leadership?
6. Is artificial intelligence a friend or foe to the labour market?
7. Is risk management by Nigerian insurance industry a mirage or reality?
8. Should political office holders enjoy immunity while in office?
Miss Chiziterem Ibewuihe of Owerri City Secondary School emerged winner of the competition with 89 points ahead of the representatives of Holy Ghost College Owerri and Owerri City Secondary School who came Second and Third respectively. Alongside certificates, the winners received Fifty Thousand Naira (N50,000), Fourty Thousand Naira (N40,000), and Thirty Thousand Naira (N30,000) respectively for 1st, Snd and third positions.
Also at the event were Pearlville School, winners President’s Excellence Award as the best school in Nigeria (Private School Category) and Beta Malt 2019 National Senior School Debate Competition.
SEE PHOTOS BELOW